Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Are Elderly People Good Pet Owners?

I remember when my grandparents decided it would not be wise to have any more pet dogs.  My grandfather had dogs as far back as I can remember, but when Penny, the last dog they owned, passed away, they figured that they wouldn't be around long enough to get another dog.

That's a sobering thought, but as the years go by, and I get older myself, I understand the importance of this kind of thinking.

Not long ago there was a Senior dog available at our animal shelter, in fact this happens quite frequently, and a Senior adopted the dog, the two will be great companions as they share good times in the later years of life.

As for my grandfather, little did he know that he was going to live many, many more years, until he was 97.

But this is a decision that every pet lover and owner will have to face one day, and we have an article that may help you a bit as you consider this question for yourself, or someone you love....click here for the article.

There is a great need for adopting senior dogs, maybe this is something you feel drawn to do, no matter what age you are. I am back to update this post with a great article on the subject, "Adopting an Older Dog". 

Updated 2/27/17

2 comments:

  1. I think that senior dogs being adopted by older people is a good idea. There are so many senior dogs in rescue for all manner of reasons but many have come from loving caring homes and they are nice dogs. As with any pet adoption the important thing is that there is a good match between the dog and the potential owner whatever the age of either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is key, a good match. As I consider getting another myself, I am not sure I have the energy or desire for a little puppy and all the training again, a dog that is a bit older and already has had some training seems more desireable.

      Delete